GRAVY. If you can’t or don’t eat gluten, you’ve probably eaten a Thanksgiving or two without it. Never again, my gluten-free and paleo friends! This one is so flavorful you’ll only need one option at the table- no need for a gluten-free and “regular” gravy. Besides, I’m willing to bet that this is the one everyone would choose anyway.
Caramelized Vegetable Gravy – Gluten-Free, Paleo
1 cup each diced carrots, onions and celery
4-6 cloves whole peeled garlic
1 T duck fat, ghee or fat of choice
2 t balsamic vinegar
pinch sea salt
2 tablespoons butter (or other fat of choice)
2 tablespoons arrowroot powder
2 1/2 cups chicken or turkey stock, preferably homemade
1/4 cup white wine
preheat your oven to 425°.
- Place chopped vegetables (onions, carrots, celery, garlic) on a baking sheet with the balsamic vinegar, sea salt, duck fat, or fat of choice. Place in the oven.
- If the fat you’re using started off solid, remove from the oven after 5 minutes and stir.
- Roast for 30-40 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes, or until the vegetable are golden brown and softened. Transfer to a medium saucepan and add the stock. Simmer on medium heat for 20 minutes or so.
- Strain the gravy and add the liquid, along with 1/3-1/2 of the vegetables to a blender. (depending on desired thickness; reserve the vegetables and adjust as needed)
- Puree until smooth. If you have a Vitamix, or other high powered blender, this should be your final step. If not, you may have to strain the gravy through a fine mesh strainer to achieve a smooth gravy.
- Meanwhile, in another saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter, ghee, or preferred fat and add the arrowroot powder. Whisk to combine and continue to heat for 3-4 minutes, whisking pretty constantly.
- Add the gravy and bring to a simmer. It will thicken a bit.
- Add the wine and simmer one more minute.
- Season to taste; it may need more salt, depending on the saltiness of the stock you used.
- Transfer to a fancy gravy pourer, and serve with your fabulous feast!