What can I say about zoodles with peas and pesto?
Nothing, apparently, and I’d rather go eat it as a side dish with a lamb leg steak. Instead, I give you some pictures:
Zoodles with Peas & Pestoserves 2 as a main dish or 4 as a side.
3 large zucchini
1/2 cup fresh peas (about 1/2 pound before they’re shelled)
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup fresh basil. mint and green garlic pesto:
1 big bunch basil (2 cups leaves, packed)
3/4 cup walnuts
1/2 cup good extra virgin olive oil
3 sprigs mint
2-4 tablespoons lemon juice, depending on how lemony you like it
thumb sized piece green garlic, sliced (1 clove garlic if you can’t get green garlic)
1 teaspoon salt
- Start by making your zoodles: Either with a spiral slicer or julienne peeler, make long spaghetti like noodles out of your zucchini. Place in a colander in the sink and sprinkle with 2 teaspoons salt. Mix well. Allow to sweat, releasing the excess liquid, for 20-30 minutes.
- Shell your peas and place in an bowl. Set aside.
- In a blender, add the remaining ingredients; basil, mint, walnuts, lemon juice, green garlic, 1 teaspoon salt and olive oil. Kick the blender on high. You’ll have to stop the blender a few times and mix the contents if you don’t have a high powered blender like a Blendtec.
- Set a small pot of water over high heat and bring to a boil. Once boiling, add peas and blanch for one minute. Drain.
- Give the zucchini noodles a good rinse with cold water and drain well. Further dry them on several layers of paper towels, or a clean kitchen towel.
- Place in a large bowl and mix in 1/4 cup of the pesto and the peas. Add more pesto to taste, if desired.
All that’s left to do is: