Earlier this month, I had the honor of catering the Food For Humans book release party. The event started late morning, so a brunch menu was in order. I was going to need a lot of bacon. Enter US Wellness Meats, who was beyond generous and donated enough of their fabulous beef and pork bacon to feed 200 hungry Nom Nom Paleo fans.
My prediction for Sunday’s big game? These will get snatched up faster than you can put them on platters and stab them with toothpicks.
Bacon Wrapped Sweet Potato Bites with Guacamole
makes 50-65 bites
2 sweet potatoes, about 1 1/2 pounds total
2 pounds bacon (beef and/or pork)
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
dash chipotle (optional)
Guacamole, for serving
(I served these bites with avocado mousse, guacamole’s sexy cousin. To make, simply puree your avocados until smooth. I use a simpler selection of ingredients for the mousse than I do for guacamole; some ground coriander and fresh lime juice is perfect, if you ask me)
- preheat your oven to 375.
- peel the sweet potatoes and dice them into bite sized pieces. The ideal shape and size, baking time wise, is a rectangle 1/2 inch thick by about 3/4 inch long. Try to get them as uniform as you can, so they all take the same amount of time to bake.
- wrap one half of a slice of bacon around each piece of sweet potato
- arrange snugly on a baking sheet and bake for 40-50 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are soft and the bacon is cooked.
- Make ahead: Steps 1-3 can be done up to 3 days ahead of time.
- Drain excess bacon fat and Turn the oven up to 450.
- Sprinkle with paprika / chipotle mixture, if desired.
- Bake an additional 5-10 minutes, or until the bacon is crispy.
- Remove to a platter, stab with toothpicks, and serve dolloped with guacamole or avocado mousse.
All of the links on zenbellycatering.com are for information purposes, however some are affiliate links to books, products or services. Any sponsored posts are clearly labelled as being sponsored content. Some ads on this site are served by ad networks and the advertised products are not necessarily recommended by Zenbelly Catering.