When I first discovered Alessandra’s blog, The Foodie Teen, I was amazed at the level of skill in both her photography and her recipes. I’m so thrilled to have her guest blogging here at Zenbelly today, and I hope you take a minute to check out her gorgeous blog!
Hi everyone! My name is Alessandra and I’m the 15-year-old food blogger behind The Foodie Teen! I’m so honoured to be guest blogging here today while Simone works on what is sure to be her wonderful Paleo cookbook! If you enjoyed this post, you can find me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest too; I’d love to hear from you!
You know when you bake something so delicious you just can’t stop eating it by the fistful? Yeah. That.
I’ve always been one of the odd ones who loves all things lemon. The irresistible zing which seemingly travels right down to your toes following the sweet, ever so slightly tart first bite always has me running back for more. Sweet and buttery (no worries – it’s dairy free!) yet moist and tangy… I think I may well be obsessed. Can we talk about the fact that the coconut lemon drizzle on top is so good I may or may not have eaten that entire jar right there in the background? Also, drizzles make everything 1000x prettier.
This cake is a double whammy – it’s super pretty, and it has the most ridiculously amazing flavour. (I contemplated using more adjectives but I figured that all you’ll want to do is scroll down and make cake by now.) Flavour is actually a combination of the taste and the smell of something (thanks online university gastronomy class!), which means that this cake seriously trumps them all. It’s got that sweet, slightly zingy taste and the overwhelmingly delicious aroma of freshly squeezed lemon. If you’ve got some lemons, a few eggs, and a salivating mouth, you could even be eating it within the hour!
Thank you so much to Simone for letting me guest post here today, and to anyone reading, I hope you enjoy!
Lemon Drizzle Cake
½ cup maple syrup
½ cup coconut oil, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup coconut milk
zest and juice of 1 lemon
1 ½ cups almond flour
3 tablespoons coconut flour
3 tablespoons arrowroot starch
1 tsp baking soda
2 tablespoons coconut butter (melted)
the zest and juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons full-fat canned coconut milk
To make the cake:
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
- In a food processor, combine the first six ingredients (all the wet ingredients) for 1-2 minutes or until smooth. Transfer to a bowl, then fold in the remaining ingredients.
- Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan lined with baking parchment, then bake for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean, with one or two crumbs.
- Using a fork, make holes in the top of the cake, then make the lemon glaze below and pour it over the cake.
- Let cool completely before serving.
To make the lemon glaze:
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and whisk until completely smooth. Pipe or drizzle over the cake.